The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 67% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 53 commisioned officers —3 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. This is Not the first time Ferguson’s police have been heavy handed with it’s Black residents - Innocent Black man beaten by cops, then charged with bleeding on police officer’s uniforms
9. So please - don’t get it twisted
Here’s a quicklist* of the remaining villagers! (60 remain as of 28/07/2014)
THERE ARE VILLAGERS STILL OPEN!! Do you love animal crossing and want to draw one of them?! DO it! =D It’s fun to be part of an art collab!
I drew these all in Photoshop CS3 using a small Intuos Pen & Touch tablet! Thanks for asking! =)
Some drawings I’ve done recently! First one is for Animal Crossing Art Collab — They still have some villagers left if you want to participate! (I think!)
The last one is a self portrait I did up in about 15 mins? It was a good time. Love doodlin.
I need Stripes to go on hiatus until at least September 2 in order to rebuild a back catalogue and prepare for conventions, but I’d like to keep the website running. If you have fanart you’d like to share, or feel inspired to make a Stripes guest comic, or ever had a…
I’ve got one in the works! =3
Aww I did a thing.
THIS THIS THIS
of course, not everyone can do all these things! but if you are concerned, here is a list of information and resources.
KNOW THE FACTS ABOUT BEE DECLINE:
The global and European situation with bees and other pollinators
Watch Marla Spivak’s TED talk: Why bees are disappearing
PLANT BEE-FRIENDLY PLANTS:
List of bee plants by category
Know your garden store: Don’t poison bees by accident
MAKE A WILD BEE HOUSE:
About wild/solitary bees & how to build a bee house
more on bee houses
ENCOURAGE YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT TO DO MORE TO HELP:
Bee Health: Background and Issues for Congress
(unfortunately, I cannot provide a comprehensive list of how to contact local governments, it would be much easier for you to research this on your own.)
(all drawings by mod aliza)
And when men do this on a regular basis, remember that, if you are a woman, you are not the exception. You are not so cool and fabulous and levelheaded that they will totally get where you are coming from when you show emotions other than “pleasant agreement.”
When men say “most women are crazy, but not you, you’re so cool” the subtext is not, “I love you, be the mother to my children.” The subtext is “do not step out of line, here.” If you get close enough to the men who say things like this, eventually, you will do something that they do not find pleasant. They will decide you are crazy, because this is something they have already decided about women in general.
|—||Jennifer Wright, “Lady, You Really Aren’t ‘Crazy’” (via keefrich)|
Solar Freakin Roadways!
Well, here is my first progress pic. It is a 12 week difference. 150lbs down to 132lbs. The after pic was taken last week and I have taken a week off of my good eating and exercising- I need to get back to work!! I am still working with the food plan and exercise videos found on blogilates.com I am hoping posting this will help me get back to it! My goal weight is 125ish. I want to get there for the end of July! Wish me luck!!!
For jillfog, who won this week’s free headshot! She asked me to draw her with a “silly expression”, so here’s her looking rather
pouty distressed scarredsilly!
Want your own free headshot? Details here!
I was drawn! I LOVE IT!! If you want a kickass drawing by Chrissi- her commission info is above!
Some bookmarks I made for myself! :3 Video with me drawing them in it… http://youtu.be/iUqySaV_U6c